Sunday, August 31, 2008

Macau

On Friday, I went to Macau. Apparently, it is a similar set up to that of Hong Kong, but instead of being a former British colony, it was Portuguese. A bit of the Portuguese influence remains – in the signage (written in English, Portuguese and I assume Cantonese) and in some of the architecture – but like Hong Kong, it seems to be almost entirely Chinese in nature. Getting there was a pleasure. I took an hour long ride on a jet-boat ferry, which was remarkably smooth and quiet.

I had a window seat, and was able to watch the hydrofoil ferries going back and forth at pretty incredible speeds.



I read in a guidebook that I should get a look at the ruins of Sao Paolo

and the old Portuguese fort that happened to be across the street. While there was not a whole lot to see at Sao Paolo (only the front façade of the cathedral and a small bit of foundations remain) the fort was impressive.

There was no doubt that it is located in the most imposing spot on the island. The ground there was higher than any other on the island, although some high-rises, like the Grand Lisboa(seen here at the business end of a cannon), were considerably taller – and vastly less tasteful.

The fort was bristling with turrets and what seemed like the original cannons. There is a lot more to see, but that will have to wait, since I was only there to get my work visa validated. It was a beautiful day to see a new place, and I can’t wait to return.


No comments: